1) Make a schedule. Figure out how often you want to blog each week and try to stick to it. I haven’t been the best at this. I am trying to figure out what works best for me. I am thinking blogging three times a week is my ideal. Since I know I want to post three times this week I will come up with three post ideas at the start of every week. Then when I have the time to write, I know exactly what I am going to be talking about. It makes it easier to get started when I already know my topic. If I can get the posts done early then I can always schedule them which is nice.
2) Add personal stuff into your posts. Telling stories from your life is a great way to make your posts feel more personal. When people read them they get an idea of who you are as a person. Then can also relate better to know if they know a little bit about who you are and why you blog. I love to read little bits about a blogger when I am reading their posts.
3) Don’t make your posts too long or too short. I have heard 500+ words is the ideal so that is what I try to stick to on this blog. As far as longer posts, it really depends on your blog. I think some bloggers can have much longer posts than that, especially if it is a tutorial of some kind. Trying to figure out what is best for your own blog. You don’t want the post to be too long so no one ends up reading the whole thing.
4) Start an email list right away. I was given this advice and didn’t really follow it but I wished that I had. I have mine set up through Aweber but you can also use Mail Chimp. You can send blog posts out to your list, advice or anything you feel might interest them. You can customize it as much as you would like. You do have to put an address that will be on each email. I didn’t want to put my home address so I was able to set up a box at a local post office place. I pay $37 for six months. You can do this at the Post Office or a place like Mailboxes Etc.
5) If you get an idea, go for it. There have been a few times when I have thought of something I wanted to do on my blog but I was afraid to try it. Then I see someone else do it and have great success with it. Self doubt isn’t good so don’t let it keep you from trying new things. If your idea doesn’t work out, so what? At least you tried. You will never know if something is going to work until you try it. I bet some of the best ideas in the world came because someone decided to take a risk on something, not because they knew 100% that it would work out.
Blogging is a great way to connect with others and write about what you love. I hope these tips can help you along your blogging journey.
What quick tips do you have about blogging?
* This post contains an affiliate link!