Here are 6 myths about work at home moms and the reality of working from home…
1) WAHMs have a lot of free time- This is a myth that I have believed myself. It is why I sometimes get too overwhelmed. I think I have more free time than I do. I think that because I work from home I can complete any task at any time. The reality is we WAHMs need a schedule and need to balance our time correctly. We have a business to work on, children to be with and a house to take care of. There is always a lot to do each day and assuming we have a lot of free time means feeling very overwhelmed and frustrated at the end of the day.
2) WAHMs only work for Direct Sales companies There are a lot of WAHMs that have been able to work a very successful direct sales business from home. However, there are a lot of WAHMs that haven’t. Direct sales are only a small part of the work we WAHMs do. For some moms direct sales is only a small part of what they do and other moms have never been a direct sales consultant.
3) You can’t be a WAHM because of x,y and z-While I don’t think the WAHM lifestyle is for everyone, I also think if you want it to be your lifestyle, you can make it happen. It might take a long time, it might be a lot of work, but I believe if you want it, it can happen for you. I struggle with self-doubt but I have to keep reminding myself that I CAN and WILL do this. Even if it is hard, even if it takes a while. I will be a successful WAHM.
4) We are only WAHMs because our kids are young. Once they grow up and start school full-time, then we will find a job outside the home. I have been a WAHM for almost 8 years now. I have about 5 years to go before my youngest is in school. After that many years, I have a very hard time picturing myself giving up making money online and going out and getting a full-time job outside the home. I could see working part-time somewhere for “fun” but not for a full-time job. I take what I do online seriously and I don’t want to give it up just because I don’t have children at home during the day anymore.
5) WAHMs work in our pajamas. I am not saying I have never done any type of work in my pajamas but for me if I want to focus, I need to get dressed for the day. I need to act like I am going somewhere even if I don’t leave the house. I guess when you are a work at home mom you CAN work in your pjs but I like to get ready for the day before I get started on my work.
6) All WAHMs do the same type of work. This is not true at all. Some WAHMs run their own business, others work for companies. Some have employees and others do not. Some sell physical products, others sell digital and others don’t sell anything at all. WAHMs are as different as their households. What is great about that is if you want to be a WAHM there are so many options for you to pick from.